Saturday, May 17, 2008

Meeting My Hero

One of my all-time favourite books is Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, a memoir of Alexandra Fuller's childhood in Zimbabwe. This is the only book I can recall reading where I really didn't want it to end; each night I wanted to keep reading and reading, but at the same time I also wanted to put it away so that I wouldn't reach the end so quickly. On May 14, Alexandra Fuller was at the Seattle Public Library to give a reading from her new book (The Legend of Colton H. Bryant), and I actually found about it in time to go see her! I even got to speak to her (heart pounding) as she signed a couple of books for me. The podcast of her talk will be posted here.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Bill Bryson, one of my favorites (I loved Ms. Fuller's "Don't let's go to the dogs tonight" almost as much as you did, I think, so she'd be another favorite), gave a reading in Madison while I was there and I went to see him talk. I think I found out about it at the last minute so didn't have any books with me for him to sign, but mostly I think it was that I was too chicken to go up to him (my excuse was that there was a helluva long line too, and it had been a very long day for me and I hadn't gone home yet too). So, I just left after his talk. But I even had something to speak to him about--our cousin Dirk had invited him on that yacht trip and he'd written a nice letter back to him. I did quite regret not waiting to meet him later, so good for you.

Christine said...

Wonderful story Vieve.