Friday, April 17, 2009

Veggie Box


Last weekend I set up, on the sunny southern side of our house, one of two 4x4 vegetable garden kits I got from costco.com. The planks are made of a trex-like material so they don't rot. I'm planning to put some copper stripping around the sides too, to keep the nasty SLUGS out! So far our modest box contains: 1 corn plant (back left), 1 mint plant (back right). Mint will be used for summertime Mojitos...yum! Still to go in: carrots, rhubarb, lettuce, squash...

1 comment:

Samantha said...

You're not going to get a good corn cob with only one plant, I think--I think you need a whole bunch to get good fertilization, without which you won't have (a lot of) kernels. As I discovered, raccoons quite like pulling off corn cobs then not eating them :-(

But, yay for a veggie patch!! That will be so cool to have veggies in a few months! And fresh herbs are always good.